- Three of America’s first five presidents died on Independence Day.
- On July 4, 2011, hackers broke into Fox News’ Twitter account and fired off six tweets declaring president Obama had been shot and killed in Iowa.
- Iowa derives its name from the Ioway people, one of the many Native American tribes that occupied the state at the time of European exploration.
- The tune for the Star Spangled was taken from a British pub song titled to Anacreaon in Heaven.
- The setting of new lyrics to an existing tune is called a contrafactum.
- In 2011, fireworks caused an estimated 17,800 reported fires, including 1,200 total structure fires, 400 vehicle fires, and 16,300 outside and other fires. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported civilian deaths, 40 civilian injuries and $32 million in direct property damage.
- 21% of the 113th Congress did serve or are serving in the military, and an even smaller percentage of their children are.
- The average wait time after a veteran files a claim for benefits with the Veterans Administration is 273 days. But for veterans filing their first claim, including Iraq and Afghanistan vets, the wait is up to 327 days, nearly two months longer.
- Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord,
And when you ask them, “How much should we give?”
Ooh, they only answer More! more! more! yoh,
- Members of Congress are worth an average $966,001 each.
- In winning last year’s Nathan’s Famous July 4 International Hot Dog-Eating Contest, Joey Chestnut consumed almost 20,000 calories.
- The average (N.B. average) Haitian consumes 1,850 calories per day.
- The first song played on AZH’s Led Zeppelin Pandora station this morning was Free Bird.
Happy Independence Day.