A New Day by Scouting for Girls. I couldn’t hit you with Kanye the day before Thanksgiving. But beware, it’s coming. Hopefully, this will add a little cheer to however you choose to spend the, pound-for-pound, greatest holiday there is (and hopefully you won’t recognize this jam from the Sony/Google-TV commercials, because that’s where I discovered it). I love Thanksgiving. It’s the Jordan-in-his-prime of holidays. It’s the Eddie Van Halen – Eruption of holidays. It’s the Jimmy Fallon impersonating Neil Young singing the theme song from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air of holidays. (N.B. This entire post may simply be a vehicle to get you to watch that clip. I apologize for the disingenuity (real word). You can skip the rest of them. In fact, feel free to stop reading now).
10 Fun Thanksgiving Facts:
1. Minnesota is the United States’ top turkey producing state.
2. The tribe of Indians (Native Americans) at the first Thanksgiving were the Wampanoag.
3. The President pardons two turkeys each year. This year’s birds will live out their days at Mount Vernon, home of George Washington.
4. Thomas Jefferson thought the concept of Thanksgiving was “the most ridiculous idea I’ve ever heard.” (N.B. Thomas Jefferson also fathered at least one child with a mixed-race slave he owned named Sally Hemmings.)
5. A spooked turkey can run at speeds up to 20 miles per hour.
6. The Detroit Lions have hosted a football game everything Thanksgiving day since 1934.
7. One of the earliest recorded uses of the term “Black Friday” was for September 24, 1869, a stock market catastrophe.
8. At the end of A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Snoopy and Woodstock cook their own Thanksgiving meal. They eat it, then they pull apart the wishbone and Woodstock gets the bigger piece.
9. “I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast and then I killed them and took their land.” – Jon Stewart.
10. Turkey does not make you sleepy, but merlot does.
Everyone be safe and have a happy holiday. Enjoy